Skip to main content

So, I had spent about a week programming a scene that cued to a 9 minute song. It had a ton of different scenes and many different types of effects approximately every 5-10 seconds. It had been running just fine and staying in perfect sync with the music until one day. I opened up the program as usual, and selected my scene, started up the music and ready to queue the lights and start them up once to song hits a particular beat in the beginning. I notice, immediately, that something was off very quickly. At first I thought it was the song in my media player, it's not, it's MyDMX2, which is playing the lights a fraction slower that they have. Any ideas on what may cause this. My PC has 79% of my I7 processor available, and my disk only has a gig of 1 Terabyte taken.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Cdw626

I experienced something similar!

I also sync lights to music (well, I use a DMX sound player, the DMX signal activates some music files I use in my theatre show)
I have some 'waiting' music and they are about 3 min each. After that time I programmed MyDMX to go to the next song. Works perfect on my laptop (windows 8) but during shows I use my 'old' notebook (Windows 10) and...time isn't time any more Frowner
The player always got it right but MyDMX slows down a lot on the old notebook! (with some trial & error I figured out a new 'time' but it frightens me a little bit as I don't know what exactly happens here...will it stay stable?...

EDIT
Just started up the program on my laptop and....it is now exact the same time out of synch as my notebook. (what is sort of fine as I can use the same adjusted time settings on both computers even when it is officially not what you expect Wink )
BUT....as I type this on my laptop the program was just running in the background and....without opening or closing it one song was again 'on time' (is 'off time' for my adjusted settings). It only happens once as it is now back 'off time'.
Very very strange and it can be a big problem during the show so I really wanted to know what is happening here.

(using July 2015 version as de December version has big problems with the next function)
Last edited by Former Member
An Update:

A friend of me figured out something:

My laptop has a variable processor speed
My notebook is older and has not!!!

Its on the laptop that I frequently had issues that scenes slow down unexpectedly.

Although there is a time difference between laptop and notebook I from now on will only use my old notebook. I have to correct all the times of all scene steps for all my shows but hope they will stay stable from then on.
Another update:

No...its not!
Steps/scene's are slowing down or speeding up as your computer is more or less 'at work'. (I did some tests and running other tasks significantly speeds down your program)

So I had to put my virus scanner down (as it sometimes does background tasks) and switch my computer to airplane mode (as this stops some unexpected uploading tasks) etc.

Then it is 'workable' but still not really steady!

I bought 2.0 (last year) but it seems I have to buy 3.0 (and hope this problem is solved there)

Hope that somehow this information is useful to other users...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.