Skip to main content

Purchased 8 used "professional show lighting" mini moving washes to add my show and since day 1 they have this random flicker. No rhyme or reason to when it happens. Mostly when the lights are sitting, on.

I've completely narrowed it down to the software - using all DMX cables, terminators, optical splitter, power is fine. I am running all kinds of lights and these are the only ones that flicker. Now, I had to use the Blizzard QWash ssl profile for programming, which I think could be an issue, but no true profile exists for the fixture. The Blizzard profile is almost identical to the channel structure.

I am at the point where I am about to get rid of the lights its that annoying (and the fact that those are the only ones flickering and it is ruing my show).

When I close myDMX and the lights are still sitting, on, they do NOT flicker. As soon as I open the software, the flickering begins.

Can anyone help or has anyone experienced this?

I realize they are cheap overseas lights but honestly they are the exact same light at the Blizzard.

Oh, and I bought them from a guy AT a festival, on site, and he was using dmx software (not ADJ) and they did not flicker at all, so it is NOT the light.

My other lights in the universe include:

SCX-500s
Elation Design Spot 250s (x6)
Chauvet Intimidator Spot 350s (x4)
Slim Pars x12

No issues with ANY of these. ONLY the mini moving washes.

They are nice to have around for smaller bar gigs, but I cannot continue to use them with the flickering.

I can supply video examples of the flickering if need be (not sure how to post them on here)

THanks for any help in advance.

CHRISK
PlusVibes Productions
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No. Windows 7 64-bit

Did a little research after noticing my dmx terminator LED was red tonight (usually orange) and found some info that I may be dealing with inverse polarity? (Chinese lights sometimes are reversed so I have read).

I'm mot even sure what that means.

But could that be an issue?

Since my last show, I added an optical splitter (to try to fox flickering) and added 6 elation design spot 250s. So not sure of any of these would cause an inverse polarity issue on the terminator LED.

I had no issues during my show tonight (except the flicker on the chinese lights) and I only noticed the red LED indicator at stage strike. Frowner

Is inverse polarity a huge issus to the point where I should not run my lights?

Maybe someone should just explain what it means. Ha.
I have now isolated the polarity issue to i e of my 6 elation ds250's so that would not be the issue.

I isolated the mini washes with the mydmx software and there's still flickers. I notice that, on the front LED display, there is a kittle blue "DMX indicator" light that randomly blinks (on all the mini fixtures, not sound activated). This is constant and has no co-inciding with the flickers ( or so I can tell) sothat tells me there is some sort of interruption in the signal?

My last possible fix would be a proper fixture profile. Can you create one for me if I send you the manual ?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.