Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Mike,
Here is a little basic history and run down of the difference between a "DMX" cable and a "Mic" cable. First, XLR is just the type of connector (3 pin, 4pin, 5pin, 7pin, etc) all of them have different uses, but in the end XLR is just the connector at each end. So, to DMX cables. DMX stands for Digital Multiplexing...It is a digital binary singnal that the controler send out (one way traffic) to the light rig you are running (be it one light or a thousand) This signal is sensitive to out side interference. For example, if you have ever run a long cable between your speakers and your amp you might notice a slight hummmmm...usually ground lifting helps that issue, well what that is, is RF interference being absorbed by the cables.... DMX cables and Mic cables do the same thing. This interference causes the DMX signal to slow down or scatter making the lights jump around and do "phantom" things you dont want them to do. The solution was to change the internal shielding of the DMX cable itself. On the outside, the cable looks the same, and though i highly dont recomend it, you could use a mic cable in a pinch. But, to answer your question, the shielding is the difference in the cables. The industry is slowly converting from 3-pin DMX to 5-pin dmx, but for now, its best to get data cables for your lights and mic cables for your mics....

Now, back to your lights.... first step is to verify that every light is in slave mode, daisy chained together using (data) cables :-) at first just use 4 lights to make sure they are working. On the back of the lights, you have a data/dmx in and an out. two of those 4 lights have only one data cable plugged in....one has only data in plugged in...the other is data out... on the light that has the data cable plugged to the out, turn that light, only that light, into master mode.... The rest should sync up and run as slaves...if it is working, plug one light in at a time and go down the line checking they are in slave mode. If you have multiple (Master) lights, they start having issues. Let me know if this still doesnt work.
Jeffrey,

Your valuable information is greatly appreciated. I'll order the "data cables this week". I used them in stand alone mode this past weekend and they looked great/I received a ton of compliments. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Again, thanks for taking the time to assist. Have a great week!
First, make sure you have the first light set to the desired mode (sound active, color, fade, etc) then connect the first "slave" to it. make sure the data cable coming out of the master is on the "out" and to the "in" on the slave..... set the slave to "slave" in the menu and it will automatically start listening to the master. You do not need to set the master to anything other than the desired function.
I have to agree with Jeffrey D, the manual is terrible.

I'm trying to set up a master / slave on these fixtures.

JWPardee - I've read the above instructions you've kindly posted however you say "set the slave to "slave" in the menu" but I'm flicking through the menu and there is nothing that is obvious that selects this option in the menus and nothing in the manual that lists what each of the readouts on the LED menu actually mean.

I think ADJ do need to get someone else to write their manuals as they are not written very well.

Thanks in advance to whoever can assist.
Last edited {1}
I can't speak on the Master/Slave, but I have run these lights in DMX mode. I do know that you must guarantee that every light is in DMX mode before the lights will behave correctly. If you even have one light in some other mode at the very end of the DMX chain, these lights will do some funky stuff (guessing some kind of feedback problem, that I've never had with other ADJ lights). A DMX terminator might be a solution to my problem.

It's just a thought that you verify that the first light is in Master and every other light in the chain is Slave. I've even had to slowly build my chain one light at a time verifying after connecting each additional light that the whole chain is working, if not you might get strange results.

Can anyone else comment on why a light further down the chain would affect a light further up the chain? I would expect the DMX signal to only flow in the "IN" and out the "OUT", am I wrong in assuming this?

As far as the buttons necessary to get these lights into those modes, I would have to play with them, however, like I said, I primarily use DMX mode.
I have 4 profiles and although its been a while, I "think" the solution to trying to slave them is that the "slave" option only shows up when a dmx cable is plugged into the IN port.
Without a dmx plugged in, the light must be programmed to assume you done need the slave option and doesn't display it in the menu.
Worth a shot...
Guys, I am having similar issues. Worst set of instructions I have ever had the displeasure of reading. I work in IT for a living and can't figure it out, lol.

I have a DMX Controller that I would like to link my par profiles up to. When I click on 'mode' the only options available are:

r.xxx
So-S
AF-x
CL-x
don
Axxx

Which one of these is actually for DMX? Thanks
Has anyone figured this out? I picked up a couple Mega QA Par38s and it seriously looks like the only way to Master/Slave the two is by going back out and buying the IR Controller. Nothing in any of the menus OR submenus hint at Master/Slave or SLnd, even if you go back and turn IR to off or connect another light via dmx out and data cables nothing changes. Can anyone confirm this please?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.