Skip to main content

Hello all, This is a picture of 5 different moving heads. I want you all to guess and tell me which one is the brightest. I will list 5 names and you have to tell me which one you think is the brightest.

now your choices are and in no particular order.
Vizi LED Spot
X move LED Plus
Accu spot Pro
Accu spot 575
Vizi spot (non led)

Let me know. I guess whoever guesses it right can pick between a free banner or a ADJ polo.
Sincerely,
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, seeing as how I can't find specs on a Vizi Spot or Vizi LED (only Vizi LED Spot) any where, little unfair now. Other then that, I have a fair guess at which on is the brightest, but being a professional designer, I kinda have a one up since I can identify sources fairly easily using a simple trick. So I won't spoil your fun Jim, Big Grin.
Well, I'm no expert. The one that I think is brightest is the second row, second from the left.

If I'm wrong,then so be it. I prefer that one because it appears to have the most even coverage, or at least appears taht way. The two blue-ish ones(funny, they don't look blue-ish...bad joke) appear to have hot spots. The hot spot of the one on the second row, second from the right, appears to to be the brightest overall, but not the entire beam.

I'm thinking I'm being led into saying the X Move LED Plus, since I was directed to a posting on here in regards to a video about this fixture.

So, I'm going to guess X Move LED Plus.
If I'm right, it's a miracle. If I'm wrong, well, I'm a sound guy.
Well, assuming a fair shoot-out with lights/bulbs rated for similar brightness, all running at 100% light output and no or clear on the color wheel and gobo, the top one and the far right ones would not be items I'd be willing to spend money on. Those are way too dim to be useful.

Since my guess is wrong, that sort of messes me up.... I'm guessing then that the second from the right would be the new XMove LED Plus, assuming that the LED is what is producing the hotspot.

You know, I'm eventually going to get ths right, it's a matter of process of elimation! Either that or someone else beats me to it!
Well since it is not really a fair shoot out and the fixture is not on the web site yet here is the results.

The vizi spot with the 5R lamp beat our own accu spot 575 and accu spot PRO with a even field of beam and color for color. This is an amazing advancement in lamp technology! This lamps only uses 160 watts of power! more info will be released in the near future.
Sincerely,
What were approximate distances from the target?

I'm still looking at replacements for my Q-Spot 150's, and the X Move LED Plus is not looking like a front-runner to me.

The VIZI spot looks like it could be a suitable replacement for sure for me. At slightly higher current draw than my Q-Spot 150's, the higher draw is negligible in my environment.

(Retiring those 32 Par38's is a bit more important, as well as finding suitable replacements for the Color Fusions)

Can't wait for full specs to be posted. I'm more concerned about what I can do with this, but if it has a color wheel, gobo wheel with rotation, bounce, spin and can rotate 540X and 270Y, I thing I have a winner.
I'm just sort of let-down on the performance of the LED fixture. I've been hoping to go all LED for quite some time, and yes, I realize LED technology has some growing up to do.

Overall, I have to say that your shoot-out, other than not being able to provide full information(because some of it is not available), was pretty subjective and fair. It's rather similar to what Dean did a while back with the Par64 stuff.
I am surprised the hotspots are off that much on the arc lamps. Need to calibrate those.

LEDs have a big disadvantages when using them in a moving spot situation. To get them to focus, you have to do some crazy things and causes a big drop in intensity from what I understand. You also can't really use RGB since you are turning one point source into many and then have to focus for each source vs one. That basically means no RGB for moving spots. Since they also project a very narrow wavelength, color filters don't work well either.

As such, I will stick with arc lamps and plasma when they work out the kinks. The biggest reasons for plasma are because they have long life (up to 40,000 hours so far), handle a large wattage range (100-5,000 watts), have a very high CRI (up to 95 and most arcs are around 70-90 with LEDs even lower at 60-70), don't lose color temperature or intensity over time, range of color temperatures (2,000-12,000 K), project the full spectrum, UV as well, have a very high LER *greater then 90% while arc's are around 55% and LEDs around 70-80%), and finally, can be changed easily just like arc lamps. All that and current tech is not even 10 years old yet, LEDs are 40 years old.
I've noticed on many of the "high powered LED" movers that they tend to use a color wheel rather than try to do RGB. I think going through the lens would not end up producing a coherent single color beam.

I guess if they jump the price, they could go with a single 3-color LED, but that won't address some of the issues you just brought up, it would only add the possibility of RGB color mixing and removing the need for a color wheel.

You and I have drastically different models at the moment, but then look at where we are focussed. I'm not exactly starting out, but I'm fighting a marketplace that prefers garbage, or wants "top of the line", there's really not in between. I'm targetting that market that wants and needs top of the line, but can't afford it(otherwise).

As lighting is more of the focus business for you(at least based on what you're specializing in), it makes more sense. You also have clients willing to pay fair value for what you're offering as well. You're also dealing with venues who don't walk around with having some of their top anatomy not crammed into some of their downward orifices either and understand things like power consumption.

I'm thrilled with LED's because I typically only get 3 15 amp circuits to work with, and they want lighting. Not to say LED is the be-all/end-all solution either. Right now, I'm rather stuck in this mode of thought mainly since I have clients who don't understand "current draw" issues and figure you could run the U2 tour by plugging into a single 110 outlet!

You also talk of the various different technologies for lighting. One trend I am seeing is still brigher and efficiency with lower power draw. So, LED isn't the only low power solution but it tends to be the lower power solution. At least each technology has it's place and applications. The only bad thing is that it can be difficult for a new person trying to find the best solution because now there's too much information, so they end up going by "bang for the buck" and "affordability", and when they go that route, hopefully they choose an ADJ product.
I just wanna say though that my point of doing this post was for you all to realize that this new vizi fixture is very cool. it has a output comparable to a 575 watt discharge while the new lamp only takes 160 watts! you average 575 mover will eat up about 7-800 watts of power. this new unit I imagine not taking more than 300 watts total power. That to me in my opinion is better than LED.
Sincerely,
Well, to be fair Jim, the Impression uses 90w of LED and matches a 575, which is still less then what the Vizi uses. Now to be fair again, the Vizi has more features and costs less. So the point of my post and Chris's post I believe is there is still a lot of trading off when it comes to lighting right now.

New tech is great however. As stated, I would much rather have a 180w arc over a 90w putting out the same intensity. Everyone else has to weigh out what they need and what they have to spend accordingly. There will never be one end all be all, it just simple looks like plasma tech will be the closest thing to that end all be all till something better comes out.
Jingles, I definately agree the new Vizi spot is cool. For the current draw and what it offers, it's hard for me to want to go with the X Move LED Plus, EVEN if the Vizi Spot is more expensive.

I was pretty excited when you pointed me to the X Move LED Plus, but now I think I'm better off waiting for the VIZI spot, and funding to afford it. With a 160-watt draw, that is roughly the same as my Q-Spot 150's, but WAY more output, and I need the higher amount of output. Now I don't see the VIZI Spot totally replacing/phasing out my Q-Spots, but it would definately send the Q-Spots into being left home way more often, which is fine. I have no complaints about the Q-Spots, but if I can get better results at roughly the same draw, I think it's obvious which direction I need to look at now.

Let's put it this way, it wouldn't be the first time you've sold me on a product. It probably wouldn't be the last time either. If this is any indication of last time, I can feel pretty good that I'm gonna be really happy with my purchase.

Consider that MyDMX was one of those items and you know how much I like that product.
The one reservation I have about any 5R fixtures is dimming options. The output is bound to be blinding in small-scale applications unless it can be tweaked down. Would I need to use ND filters? Or is the mechanical dimming on most of today's discharge fixtures up to the task. I figure mechanical dimmers are more for effects purposes and not for tailoring light output to a particular venue. I'm only familiar with the single-blade mechanism on my chauvet qscans, which is rather crude and non-uniform.

The reason I ask... I'm liking the idea of the Vizi Spot 5R or Elation Platinum 5R, but financially those are going to have to be my only fixtures. It would be nice if it covers all the bases, large to small. I plan to sell off my X-moves, which are currently used for small club nights.
Last edited by Former Member
I don't know about the AMDJ versions, but I know the Elation fixtures all use a dual flag system vs single flag. Now, the dual flag still isn't the best system in the world for linear dimming, but its better then a single flag.

The only mechanical systems that are linear are the glass ones found on fixtures like the VL2500. This system actually zaps intensity away from the fixture however. The VL2000 is brighter then the VL2500 for example, and the only major difference is the glass dimmer and CMY in the VL2500 vs flag dimmer and 2 color wheels in the VL2000.

To really cut down on the intensity, you would have to do like you said and put some ND in/on the fixture.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.